1.08.2011

the chocolate chip cookie bowl

I love me some vintage Pyrex. Especially this bowl:



My mom has the exact same bowl, and hers is the one we always mixed up batches of chocolate chip cookies in. And served up a meal of spaghetti cabayero in. So I knew when I saw the same bowl last night for $12.50 at the antique mall, I had to buy it. Happy early birthday to me!



It was like deja-vu a thousand times over washing the bowl in the sink last night! I can't tell you how many times I washed that bowl growing up. Or as a grown-up home for Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. ;)

We had to break in the bowl.

The bowl worked!

This is hubby's micro rock crawler. He put beebee pellets in the tires so that it can do all sorts of cooler things. Like span huge cookie obstacles.



Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening*
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour**
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
chocolate chips*** (lots)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream together the butter, shortening and sugars. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the flour mixture with the butter mixture. Then fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes about 5-6 dozen.


*instead of 1/2 cup of shortening you can substitute a 1/2 cup of margarine, or use another 1/2 cup of butter

**we typically use bread flour because I buy it in the big honkin' bag at Sam's Club for cinnamon rolls, etc.

***I like to use 3 different kinds of chocolate: milk chocolate, semi-sweet and a super-dark (like Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet). We usually add about half a bag of each, or cut up chocolate bars. Or try butterscotch chips in place of one of the chocolates. So good!

No comments: